Nichols provides geotechnical consulting, and investigation services specializing in foundation recommendations, top-of-bank assessments, slope stability analysis, landslide remediation, excavation stability, dewatering requirements, retaining wall design and project management services. Nichols will perform geotechnical investigations, provide geotechnical recommendations, and civil engineering design, tender preparation, construction monitoring, and as-built completion reports as part of a turnkey solution.
We have conducted thousands of investigations since 1999, in such specialized areas as:
- Site investigations for various commercial and institutional buildings and industrial facilities, including warehouses, schools and upstream oil & gas plants
- Frost heaving evaluation and remedial plan for a freezer warehouse
- Deep auger and coring to recover bentonitic shale to evaluate slope stability in Edmonton
- Slope stability evaluations for residential developments in Edmonton and Northern Alberta, including numerical modeling
- Numerous roadways, bulk fuel, and cardlock facilities in Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia
- Retaining wall designs and specifications for residential and commercial developments throughout northern Alberta
- Upstream oil and gas facilities in Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia
- Urban and rural residential geotechnical investigations
Nichols can perform slope stability analyses to assess the safe and economic development in near proximity to natural or human-made slopes (e.g. developments in close proximity to embankments, road cuts, open-pit mining, excavations, landfills, earthen berms etc.).
Nichols has completed numerous slope stability and excavation shoring wall projects.
These have included both design and review functions. Slope stability assessments have been conducted for slopes adjacent to county roadways, residential subdivisions, upstream oil and gas lease sites, and most notably a 29-story high rise along the City of Edmonton riverbank. Nichols has also been responsible for probabilistic slope stability analyses and the overall review of shoring systems for excavations of 10 to 20 m in depth.
Nichols provides foundation recommendations and soil properties for foundation design. The engineering team at Nichols is knowledgeable in evaluating foundation options to meet the existing soil properties to ensure that a suitable and cost effective foundation strategy is provided to the project design team. This includes evaluation of the shallow and deep foundation strategies, including footings, cast-in-place concrete and driven steel friction piles, cast-in-place end bearing concrete caisons, and helical screw piles.
Roadway Pavement Design
Our engineers will design site specific pavement structures based on subgrade strength, traffic counts, and applicable design standards and guidelines. The design will recommend material specifications and design thicknesses of asphalt, granular base and sub-base materials, and prepared subgrade are provided. Nichols provides pavement design services for a variety of clients in commercial and industrial use roadways and parking lots.
Nichols can assist you with:
- Quality and sustainable pavement designs
- Low duty and heavy duty pavement structures
- Flexible and rigid pavements
- Rehabilitation of existing pavement structures
- Subgrade stabilization
Our engineers can recommend geosynthetics for subgrade stabilization and reduction of granular base thickness. Nichols has close relationship with various geosynthetic suppliers and up to date knowledge with the latest available geosynthetic materials.